Italy bans entry from Serbia, Kosovo and Montenegro due to COVID-19 - statement

Italy bans entry from Serbia, Kosovo and Montenegro due to COVID-19 - statement

FILE PHOTO: Many of Rome's top five-star hotels remain closed despite easing of COVID-19 restr
FILE PHOTO: Five-star Hotel Hassler remains closed due to a lack of tourists visiting Rome since the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Rome, Italy, July 7, 2020. REUTERS/Remo Casilli

ROME: Italy on Thursday (Jul 16) banned people coming from Serbia, Kosovo and Montenegro from entering its territory to prevent the importation of COVID-19 cases from the outside.

"Anyone who has been in these territories in the last 14 days is prohibited from entry and transit in Italy. In the world, the epidemic is in its hardest phase. We need the maximum caution to defend the progress we have made so far," Health Minister Roberto Speranza said in a statement.

Last week Italy had already banned entry to people coming from 13 countries, including Brazil, that it said presented an excessive rate of COVID-19 infections.

BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments

Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram

Source: Reuters/ga

Bookmark