Americans should 'reconsider travel' to China over virus: US State Department

Americans should 'reconsider travel' to China over virus: US State Department

US advisory
A woman wearing a protective mask to help stop the spread of a deadly virus which began in Wuhan, looks on at the Beijing railway station in Beijing. (NICOLAS ASFOURI/AFP)

WASHINGTON: The United States on Monday (Jan 27) encouraged Americans to "reconsider" any plans to travel to China amid a deadly outbreak of a coronavirus that originated in the city of Wuhan.

The US State Department also issued a stern warning for its citizens not to travel to Hubei province, where Wuhan is located. So far, at least 106 people have died as a result of the virus, all of them in China.

READ: US health agency reports five confirmed cases of coronavirus

READ: Wuhan virus death toll jumps to 106, nearly 1,300 new cases in China

The department noted that last week it ordered the departure of all non-emergency US personnel and their family members from Wuhan.

"The US government has limited ability to provide emergency services to US citizens in Hubei province," the department said in a statement.

A charter flight for US government personnel in Wuhan and bound for California is now scheduled for Wednesday, rather than Tuesday originally planned, the department said.

"All travellers will be screened for symptoms at the airport prior to departure," the department said.

MORE: Our coverage on the Wuhan virus and its developments

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the Wuhan virus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram

Full coverage: https://cna.asia/wuhan-virus

Source: AFP/de

Bookmark