Bukit Batok bus collision: Most of those hospitalised have been discharged, 4 remain warded
SINGAPORE: Most of the 15 people who were taken to hospital after Sunday's bus accident at Bukit Batok interchange have been discharged, said Tower Transit on Monday (Jul 12).
Four remain warded, including a Tower Transit bus driver who has "non-critical injuries", said the transport operator.
Two Tower Transit buses, both plying the 945 route, had collided on Sunday evening, causing one of the buses to mount a kerb, smash through railings and fall to its side.
Only the bus that landed on its side was carrying passengers.
A 65-year-old bus driver has been arrested for rash act causing grievous hurt, said the police on Monday, adding that investigations are ongoing.
Tower Transit previously said that the driver of the bus without passengers has been suspended pending investigations.
An SBS Transit bus captain who was standing on the pavement was injured by one of the buses, said Ms Tammy Tan, SBS Transit's senior vice-president of corporate communications.
"He remains warded at the hospital. We are in close contact with his family and are rendering all assistance," she added.
According to the National Transport Workers' Union, he was taking a break when the accident happened.
Member of Parliament for Bukit Batok Murali Pillai said after the incident that one bus was pulling into the interchange while the other was pulling out when the accident happened.
Speaking to reporters at the bus interchange on Monday, Mr Murali said that of the 13 bus passengers who sought medical treatment, two remain in hospital.
He was also briefed on the safety measures in place at the bus interchange during a meeting with representatives from Tower Transit and the Land Transport Authority (LTA).
"There are three categories - the first one is in relation to bus and equipment. The second one is in relation to the people, meaning the drivers, the safety measures in relation to drivers. The third one is in relation to the environment, meaning the bus interchange," said Mr Murali.
"So they have quite (a) detailed framework and I'm also glad to note that Tower Transit has taken on additional steps by deploying marshals and making sure that the drivers adhere very strictly to the speed limits. So these are additional steps that they put in place in terms of measuring their compliance."
He added: "As far as the incident is concerned, it's under investigation by the Traffic Police, and I understand that LTA is also reviewing the matter.
When CNA visited the interchange on Monday, a safety barrier had been set up in place of railings that were dislodged in the accident.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force said on Sunday that 17 people were injured, adding that 14 of them were taken to hospital. The remaining three who had minor injuries did not want to be taken to hospital.
Tower Transit said on Monday that it will continue to check in on the injured.
"We've also issued safety reminders to all our staff," said a spokesperson in response to CNA's queries.
"The well-being of our staff and passengers is paramount at this moment, and we will do our best to support them and their families, and assist with their medical and insurance claims."
The Tower Transit spokesperson said that passengers involved in the accident may reach Tower Transit at 1800 248 0950 or feedback [at] towertransit.sg. They may also visit its passenger service offices at Jurong East or Bukit Batok Bus interchanges.