Singapore's COVID-19 cases top 13,000 after 931 more confirmed; 58 more patients discharged
SINGAPORE: The number of COVID-19 cases in Singapore crossed the 13,000 mark on Sunday (Apr 26), after another 931 cases were confirmed as of noon.
The new cases bring the national total to 13,624.
Among cases in the local community, 13 were Singaporeans or permanent residents, with another five on work passes.
A total of 886 of Sunday's cases were work permit holders residing in dormitories, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said in an update on Sunday night. Another 25 were work permit holders living outside of dormitories.
Another 58 people were discharged following recovery. In all, 1,060 have fully recovered from the infection and have been discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities.
There are 1,311 confirmed cases still in hospital. Most are stable or improving, and 22 are in critical condition in the intensive care unit.
Meanwhile, 11,241 cases are currently isolated and cared for at community facilities. These are cases that have mild symptoms or are clinically well but still test positive for COVID-19.
Two imported cases were reported on Sunday. Both are Singaporeans who were given stay-home notices upon their arrival in Singapore on Apr 10.
They are the first imported cases in Singapore since Apr 17, when a 34-year-old S Pass holder from Malaysia tested positive for the coronavirus.
MOH did not respond to queries from CNA on where the two Singaporeans returned from.
Of the new cases, 74 per cent are linked to known clusters, while the rest are pending contact tracing.
READ: To beat 'sneaky' coronavirus, test more and lift circuit breaker gradually when time is right: Experts
FOUR NEW CLUSTERS
Between Apr 19 to Apr 25, MOH has uncovered links for 1,280 previously unlinked cases.
Four new clusters have been discovered.
Four of the newly confirmed cases are linked to 17 previous cases to form a new cluster at Proptech Pte Ltd at 38 Senoko Road.
Six of the newly confirmed cases are linked to 18 previous cases to form a new cluster at 5 Kian Teck Crescent.
Fifty-seven of the earlier confirmed cases have now been linked to a new cluster at 3 Sungei Kadut Street 6.
Four of the earlier confirmed cases have now been linked to a new cluster at 133 Tuas View Square.
Singapore is now in a "circuit breaker" period to stem the spread of COVID-19. The period was at first scheduled to end on May 4 but will now last until Jun 1.
All non-essential workplaces have been closed and residents told not to leave the house except to buy food and groceries or to exercise alone in the neighbourhood.
Twelve people in Singapore have died due to COVID-19. The latest fatality was announced on Wednesday night - an 84-year-old Singaporean woman identified as Case 1071.