SINGAPORE: Singapore reported 75 new COVID-19 cases as of noon on Wednesday (Sep 9), with one community infection, said the Ministry of Health (MOH).
This takes the national total to 57,166.
MOH said all the new cases are asymptomatic and were detected from screening and surveillance.
The sole community case is a work pass holder who is linked to the Kenyon/UBS construction site cluster. The cluster at 9 Penang Road currently has a total of 189 confirmed cases.
The 33-year-old Bangladeshi man, known as Case 57300, was detected as a result of rostered routine testing of workers in the construction, marine and process sectors who are living outside the dormitories.
There are 14 imported cases as well, all of whom were placed on stay-home notice at dedicated facilities upon their arrival in Singapore. Of these, two were Singaporeans who returned from India.
READ: Implement flexible workplace hours to prevent crowding in public; first-time F&B offenders will now face enforcement action: Lawrence Wong
READ: Pre-departure COVID-19 tests to be required for travellers from India who are not Singapore residents
Seven other imported cases are Singapore permanent residents who returned from India between Aug 24 and Aug 28, and Ghana on Aug 28.
Another four cases are work pass and work permit holders currently employed in Singapore who arrived from the Philippines and India on Aug 28. The remaining case is a student’s pass holder who arrived from Kazakhstan on Aug 29.
The health ministry said the overall number of new cases in the community has decreased, from an average of three cases per day in the week before, to an average of two per day in the past week.
The number of unlinked cases in the community has also decreased, from an average of two cases per day in the week before, to an average of one per day in the past week.
Of the new cases reported on Wednesday, 92 per cent are imported or linked to known cases or clusters while the rest are pending contact tracing. Further details can be found in MOH's daily situation report.
Among the 60 cases residing in dormitories, MOH said 31 are from Westlite Toh Guan dormitory.
Of all the new cases detected in dormitories, the health ministry said 29 had been identified earlier as contacts of previous cases and had already been quarantined.
The remaining cases were detected through surveillance testing, such as through MOH's bi-weekly rostered routine testing. Serological test results for 22 cases have also come back positive so far, which indicate likely past infections.
MOH said 31 more COVID-19 patients have been discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities. In all, 56,492 have fully recovered from the infection.
There are currently 34 confirmed cases who are still in hospital. Of these, most are stable or improving, and none is in the intensive care unit.
A further 613 are isolated and cared for at community facilities. These are those who have mild symptoms, or are clinically well but still test positive for COVID-19.
To date, 27 have died from complications due to COVID-19 infection.
TRACETOGETHER TOKENS FOR ALL SINGAPOREANS
The Government will distribute Trace Together tokens to all Singapore residents from Sep 14, as authorities aim to enhance the existing contact tracing regime with a new system.
MOH said on Wednesday that it will pilot the deployment of SafeEntry that requires the use of either the TraceTogether app or token to check in at venues.
The tokens will first be given out in the Jalan Besar and Tanjong Pagar regions - where there is a higher concentration of elderly people who may have more challenges using the app and are more vulnerable to COVID-19 - before collection points are extended throughout the island gradually.
MULTI-LAYERED STRATEGY FOR DORM CASES
A "multi-layered strategy" to detect and contain new COVID-19 cases in dormitories has been put in place, MOH said.
The Manpower Ministry has implemented safe living, safe working and safe rest day measures in migrant worker dormitories to prevent the spread and formation of large COVID-19 clusters.
All dormitories were declared cleared of COVID-19 on Aug 11 but since then, there have been about 45 new infections daily, said the Ministry of Health (MOH).
READ: TraceTogether tokens to be issued to Singapore residents; some SafeEntry points will require visitors to use TraceTogether to check in
READ: 'Multi-layered' strategy in place to detect, contain new COVID-19 cases at migrant worker dormitories: MOM
Speaking at a multi-ministry task force press conference, Second Minister for Manpower Tan See Leng noted that many dormitory residents have never been infected with COVID-19 and remain susceptible to the virus.
“These are measures that limit the intermixing of workers at the dormitories as well as worksites. And we also ensure that workers who are unwell, they are isolated quickly and treated, and this helps to prevent the spread and formation of large clusters," Dr Tan said.