Skip to main content




3 injured, 70 evacuated after fire breaks out at Bukit Batok flat

3 injured, 70 evacuated after fire breaks out at Bukit Batok flat

The fire was caused by two e-scooters, says Bukit Batok MP Murali Pillai. (Photo: Facebook/Murali Pillai)

SINGAPORE: Three people were injured after a fire broke out at a 26th-floor Bukit Batok flat in the early hours of Thursday (Jul 18).

About 70 residents of Block 293D Bukit Batok Street 21 were evacuated during the fire, said the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF), which responded to the fire at about 12.40am.

Mr Murali Pillai, the Member of Parliament for the area, had said the fire has been traced to e-scooters. 

In an update on Saturday, SCDF said preliminary investigations indicated the cause of the fire was "accidental in nature due to electrical origin from the PMDs".

It added there were three burnt PMDs in the unit.

"The fire involved the contents of the living room and was extinguished using two water jets," said the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) in a Facebook post.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus forced their way into the burning flat and rescued a man and a woman, SCDF said.

The man was found unconscious and taken to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, while the woman was taken to Singapore General Hospital for smoke inhalation.

Two people were found in the burning flat. (Photo: Facebook/Murali Pillai)

An elderly man was injured during the evacuation, SCDF said.

Student James Lum, who lives in the block, said he was out getting food when the fire broke out.

"I was at the coffee shop getting supper. I heard a bit of shouting and I saw police cars coming in to the area," the 21-year-old told CNA.

About 70 residents were evacuated during the fire at Block 293D Bukit Batok Street 21. (Photo: Facebook/Murali Pillai)
Emergency responders at the scene. (Photo: James Lum)

"I went to check it out. When I was approaching the scene, I saw a black shape falling out of the sky and it hit the ground," he said, adding that he did not know what the object was. 

When he looked up, he noticed smoke and saw the fire. "It was very scary. We were told by the police officers we cannot walk to our unit," he said.

Firefighters allowed him to return to his flat at around 2am.

This story has been updated to reflect the latest developments.

Source: CNA/nc(cy)


Also worth reading