Skip to main content




Fire breaks out in Tampines flat as PMD battery was being charged: SCDF

Fire breaks out in Tampines flat as PMD battery was being charged: SCDF

A fire broke out at a Tampines HDB flat when a PMD battery was being charged. (Photo: Facebook/SCDF)

SINGAPORE: Fire ravaged the living room of a Tampines flat on Wednesday (Jul 3), where a personal mobility device (PMD) battery was being charged, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said.

Firefighters responded to the fire at an HDB maisonette, located on the fourth level of Block 125 Tampines Street 11, at about 6.20pm.

They extinguished the fire, which "involved the contents of the living room" of the unit, using a water jet, said SCDF in a Facebook post.

READ: 2 PMD fires at Ang Mo Kio, Marine Terrace; 1 injured

The charred remains of a PMD in a Tampines HDB flat fire. (Photo: Facebook/SCDF)

No injuries were reported in the incident.

"Preliminary investigations indicate that the PMD battery was being charged when the fire occurred," said SCDF.

READ: Fires involving e-scooters, e-bikes spike by 50% in 2018

READ: Calls to ban PMDs mount as accidents persist - but is it the best option?

To prevent the occurrence of fire, SCDF advised the public to use and purchase PMDs certified with the UL2272 fire safety certification.

More information can be found on Land Transport Authority's website.

READ: More than 85,000 e-scooters registered as deadline closes: LTA

Source: CNA/jt


Also worth reading