SINGAPORE: A recall has been issued for two brands of bamboo fungus, Xiong Mao Pai and Fei Long Pai, after an unsafe level of sulphur dioxide, an allergen, was detected in samples of the product, said the Singapore Food Agency (SFA) on Thursday (Apr 30).
Sulphite is commonly used as a food additive and is typically tested for as sulphur dioxide.
The two brands of bamboo fungus were imported from China by Guangdong Import and Export and Teck Sang respectively.
SFA has directed both importers to recall the affected products.
All batches of Xiong Mao Pai bamboo fungus are affected while the affected batches of Fei Long Pai bamboo fungus have best before dates before Nov 18, 2021.
Excessive levels of sulphite could result in allergic reactions in individuals who are hypersensitive to the allergen.
"Symptoms include hives, itchiness, stomach ache, diarrhoea and vomiting," said SFA.
BATCHES OF PURE TASSIE FRUIT JUICE RECALLED
Meanwhile, a further recall has been issued for various batches of Pure Tassie Organic Apple and Raspberry Juice, Pure Tassie Organic Apple and Blackcurrant Juice and Pure Tassie Organic Apple Juice after an unsafe level of a toxin called patulin was detected in samples of the products.
SFA said in an update on May 5 that it has extended the recall to involve more batches of the beverages.
The affected products have the following best before dates:
- Pure Tassie Organic Apple & Raspberry Juice (350ml), Jul 9 and Nov 2, 2020.
- Pure Tassie Organic Apple & Raspberry Juice (1.5L), May 27 and Aug 25, 2020.
- Pure Tassie Organic Apple & Blackcurrant Juice (350ml), Jul 9, 2020.
- Pure Tassie Organic Apple & Blackcurrant Juice (1.5L), Jul 28, Aug 17 and Sep 29, 2020.
- Pure Tassie Organic Apple Juice (1.5L), Sep 30 and Oct 6, 2020.
An earlier recall had been issued on Apr 21 for a batch of Pure Tassie Organic Apple and Blackcurrant Juice.
SFA has directed the importer, Cold Storage Singapore, to recall the products.
"The level of patulin detected may cause the products to be unsafe for consumption if there is long-term intake," SFA said.
Ingestion of large amounts of patulin from food is associated with nausea, gastrointestinal disturbances and vomiting.
Consumers who have purchased the affected products should not consume them, and should seek medical attention if they feel unwell.