Skip to main content
Best News Website or Mobile Service
 
WAN-IFRA Digital Media Awards Worldwide
Best News Website or Mobile Service
 
Digital Media Awards Worldwide
Hamburger Menu

Advertisement

Advertisement

Sport

Thiem pulls out of Indian Wells, Miami to focus on clay court return

Thiem pulls out of Indian Wells, Miami to focus on clay court return

Austria's Dominic Thiem in action during his French Open first round match against Spain's Pablo Andujar at Roland Garros in Paris on May 30, 2021. (File photo: Reuters/Christian Hartmann)

Former US Open champion Dominic Thiem further delayed his return to action from a niggling wrist injury on Monday (Mar 7), saying he was pulling out of ATP Masters 1000 tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami to focus on the clay court season.

Thiem, who has an excellent record on clay, has not played since suffering the injury at the 2021 Mallorca Open, and the 28-year-old, who has slipped to 50th in the world rankings, was unable to defend his US Open crown last year.

The Austrian had withdrawn from tournaments in Argentina, Brazil and Chile this year, but had said that he was hopeful of a return at Indian Wells, generally considered the most prestigious tournament outside the four grand slam events and where Thiem won the title in 2019.

"I had really good practice weeks. The wrist is perfectly fine, the hand is getting better and better but still I decided to pull out of Indian Wells and Miami and to start on the clay court," Thiem said in a video posted on Instagram.

"It's still the surface where I feel most comfortable, so I think it's the perfect time to start there."

The clay court season starts in April.

Source: Reuters/kg

Advertisement

Also worth reading

Advertisement