Skip to main content
Best News Website or Mobile Service
WAN-IFRA Digital Media Awards Worldwide 2022
Best News Website or Mobile Service
Digital Media Awards Worldwide 2022
Hamburger Menu




Knife-wielding man arrested after holding woman hostage at Yishun Ring Road

02:35 Min
A 42-year-old man was arrested on Monday morning (Jan 9) after holding a woman at knifepoint along Yishun Ring Road. The police said the culprit tested positive for controlled drugs and was known to officers in the area.   

SINGAPORE: A 42-year-old man was arrested on Monday morning (Jan 9) after holding a woman at knifepoint along Yishun Ring Road.

The police said they responded to a call for help at about 7.35am, adding that the man was subsequently disarmed and arrested.

The woman, 60, suffered minor injuries and did not want to be taken to the hospital. 

"A knife was seized as a case exhibit," said the police in response to CNA's queries.

"Based on preliminary investigations, the man and woman are unknown to each other."

Videos circulating on social media show a man holding an object to a woman's neck just outside a coffee shop, while at least four police officers speak to him.

In another video, at least eight police officers are seen holding the man down, with another man who appears to be a member of the public assisting them.

Police investigations are ongoing.


When CNA visited the coffee shop close to noon, no signs of the incident remained, though some police officers were seen at the adjoining car park.

Coffee shop supervisor Cindy Tan, who has worked there for about 10 years, told reporters in Mandarin that the victim was a regular customer. 

Another stall owner, Madam Nor Linda Abdullah, 60, said the victim also lives nearby and usually buys food with her cousin. 

Mdm Linda added that after the incident, she spoke to the victim who said she had emerged from the lift at a nearby block to find the man there.

Ms Tan said her customers told her that the man began following the victim in the vicinity. The woman supposedly told him to stop this but he went closer and held the knife at her neck, before they went to the coffee shop.

A stall helper from the coffee shop, Mr Suppiah, 63, said he saw the pair walking from the nearby void deck over to the coffee shop. The man had a cigarette in his mouth and was pulling the woman along.

Both Mr Suppiah and Ms Tan said they had never seen the man before.

Ms Tan said that the victim said some things in Malay but the man remained silent. About half an hour passed before the victim collapsed to the ground on her own accord, Ms Tan added. Police officers then pinned him to the ground and placed him under arrest.

Following the man’s arrest, Ms Tan gave the victim a cup of tea and she calmed down.

Ms Tan also told CNA that there have been fights in the area and teenagers acting rowdily in the middle of the night. While police officers had turned up at the coffee shop before, this was the first time an incident like this happened in her years working there, she said.

Source: CNA/ic(gs)


Also worth reading