10 shops providing non-essential services warned over staying open during ‘circuit breaker’ period, instructed to close
Under the month-long circuit breaker, set to last until May 4, only businesses providing essential services — such as food establishments, healthcare and social services — are permitted to remain operating at their usual premises.
SINGAPORE — Ten shops — ranging from mobile phone retailers to money changers — were instructed by the authorities to cease their operations on Tuesday (April 7), the first day of the month-long “circuit-breaker” imposed by the Government to curb the spread of Covid-19.
In a joint media statement on Wednesday, Enterprise Singapore (ESG) and the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) said that they had conducted enforcement checks on close to 10,700 businesses in the food and beverage, retail and tourism sector across the country.
“Ten businesses were instructed to cease their operations, including TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) retail establishments, wellness and beauty product shops, money changers, mobile phone retail shops, consumer electronics retailers, kitchenware, and stationery shops,” said the ESG and STB, adding that the retailers had remained open despite providing non-essential services.
Under the month-long circuit breaker, set to last until May 4, only businesses providing essential services — such as food establishments, healthcare and social services — are permitted to remain operating at their usual premises.
The ESG and STB said that verbal warnings were issued to the 10 shops, and they risk fines and suspension of their operations should they continue to flout the rules.
The two statutory boards said that they had deployed more than 200 safe distancing ambassadors and staff to conduct the enforcement checks on Tuesday.
The ESG had checked on more than 9,750 F&B and retail establishments across 67 shopping malls, while STB checked on more than 920 tourism-related establishments.
“(While) the majority of these establishments complied with the elevated safe distancing measures, common infractions found included a lack of queue markings and poor crowd management, especially during meal times,” said ESG and STB, adding that they will continue to step up enforcement efforts during the “circuit breaker” period.
“We take a serious view of any infringement of safe distancing measures and will not hesitate to take actions against non-compliant businesses,” ESG and STB said.
Under the Covid-19 (Temporary Measures) Act passed in Parliament on Tuesday, first-time offenders will face a fine of up to S$10,000, jail of up to six months, or both.
Subsequent offences may face a fine of up to S$20,000, jail of up to 12 months, or both.
DAISO U-TURNS ON STORE OPENING DURING “CIRCUIT BREAKER” PERIOD
Separately, popular Japanese retailer Daiso reversed its decision on Wednesday to keep several of its stores open. Earlier in the day, Daiso announced that it had received permission to open selected outlets across the country during the “circuit breaker” period.
Outlets at IMM in Jurong, Waterway Point in Punggol, Square 2 in Novena, Plaza Singapura and Tiong Bahru Plaza were scheduled to be operational.
However, following feedback from the public and unspecified “entities”, Daiso said in a statement that it understands that this is a “critical period for Singapore and will comply with the measures” in place.
“The management has since retracted the notice and confirmed that all Daiso and Threeppy stores will be closed throughout this period, starting from April 7 to May 4, or until further notice,” said Daiso.
It added: “We regret the inconvenience caused for every party and would like to thank you for your understanding and continued support.”