2 SMRT staff killed in accident laid to rest beside each other
The bodies of two SMRT employees who lost their lives in yesterday's accident have been laid to rest, side by side, at the Choa Chu Kang Muslim cemetery. Photo: Koh Mui Fong
SINGAPORE — The two SMRT employees who lost their lives in an accident on Tuesday were laid to rest, side by side, on Wednesday (March 23) evening at the Choa Chu Kang Muslim cemetery, following prayers.
The mood was sombre as hundreds gathered at the cemetery, watching as the bodies of Mr Muhammad Asyraf Ahmad Buhari, 24, and Mr Nasrulhudin Najumudin, 26, were brought to the burial sites. SMRT staff were also present.
The two men were hit by an oncoming train on Tuesday morning while carrying out maintenance work on a track near the Pasir Ris MRT station. It is the most serious fatal accident to date involving SMRT staff in the line of duty.
Earlier in the day, large crowds of family members and friends gathered to pay their last respects to the two men at the D’Heritage Apartments in Chai Chee, the home of the uncle of the late Mr Asyraf, and at Blk 142 Tampines Street 12, the family home of the late Mr Nasrulhudin.
Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs Yaacob Ibrahim, who had visited the family of Mr Nasrulhudin, said: “It’s indeed a very sad day for the community — with two very young man... who lost their lives, it’s very painful. (I) feel sad for their loved ones, their family.”
“But we must accept that this has happened, and I hope that their family will have enough strength to move forward. I met the father and mother earlier, they have accepted it,” said Dr Yaacob. “Of course we hope to find out what happened, but at the end of the day, I think we must try to rally with the family and loved ones so that they can move on from this unfortunate incident.”
(The body of the late Mr Nasrulhudin Najumudin, 26, being transported out of van at the Choa Chu Kang Muslim cemetery. Photo: Clifford Lee/TODAY)