Skip to main content
Advertisement
Advertisement

Singapore

Body of 6-year-old boy who died in Chua Chu Kang bus accident to be flown back to India

Body of 6-year-old boy who died in Chua Chu Kang bus accident to be flown back to India

Relatives and family friends of the six-year-old boy at the Health Sciences Authority mortuary at about 12.30pm on Friday, May 25, 2018.

25 May 2018 05:05PM

SINGAPORE — The body of the six-year-old boy who died on Thursday (May 24) after he was trapped under an SMRT bus along Choa Chu Kang Avenue 5 will be embalmed and flown back to India on Friday night.

Relatives and friends of the boy’s family arrived at the Health Sciences Authority mortuary at about 12.30pm on Friday to identify and collect the body. They declined to comment when approached by reporters, and said that the family has asked for privacy.

The boy’s parents, who are from India, had flown to Chennai earlier in the afternoon. TODAY understands that his father is working in Singapore, and that the boy and his mother had recently travelled here for a short visit.

According to witnesses, the boy was trapped under the rear right wheel of an SMRT bus after an accident on Thursday morning, and rescuers took 10 minutes to extract him from under the bus.

The police and Singapore Civil Defence Force said that the boy sustained serious injuries, and succumbed to them later at the National University Hospital.

Earlier reports had cited witnesses who said that the boy was riding a scooter across the road before the accident, but TODAY understands that he was walking, and not riding a scooter.

A 57-year-old bus driver is currently assisting police with investigations.

Source: TODAY
Advertisement

Also worth reading

Advertisement