The Line restaurant at Shangri-La Hotel gets hygiene rating downgraded after food poisoning incident
Two of the 10 people who fell ill after dining at The Line were hospitalised.
SINGAPORE: The Line restaurant at Shangri-La Hotel has had its food hygiene grade downgraded from A to C, after 10 people fell ill with gastroenteritis symptoms in December 2022.
They had dined at the restaurant on Dec 26. Two of them were hospitalised.
The Singapore Food Agency (SFA) said no hygiene lapses were identified when authorities inspected the restaurant on Dec 30.
"However, SFA will be taking enforcement action against the licensee for selling unclean food," the agency said.
The Line's C hygiene grade takes effect from Sep 8, 2023, and will be reviewed in 12 months.
"The premises will also be kept under surveillance," said SFA.
According to the agency, food establishments are graded A, B, C or D based on an "annual snapshot assessment" of their food safety performance.
In response to CNA's queries, a spokesperson from Shangri-La Singapore said following the food poisoning incident, the hotel immediately reviewed and changed seafood suppliers "out of an abundance of caution".
"We would like to assure the public that this was an isolated incident, and the hotel took immediate actions following guest feedback," said the spokesperson.
"Although no hygiene lapses were identified by the authorities subsequently, we have further strengthened our stringent food safety and hygiene practices."
The hotel added that it had apologised to the affected guests and was in contact to "follow up on their well-being".
SFA reminded food business operators to adhere to good food safety processes.
"Good hygiene practices such as the washing of hands before handling food can greatly reduce the incidence of gastroenteritis when adopted by all key stakeholders, including the industry and public," it said.