Skip to main content
Advertisement
Advertisement

Singapore

Singapore badminton player Yeo Jia Min tests positive for Covid-19 after withdrawal from India Open

Singapore badminton player Yeo Jia Min tests positive for Covid-19 after withdrawal from India Open

Singapore's Yeo Jia Min in action during the 2019 Badminton World Championships in Basel, Switzerland.

17 Jan 2022 03:28PM

SINGAPORE — Singapore badminton player Yeo Jia Min has tested positive for Covid-19 after withdrawing from the India Open last week.

The 22-year-old withdrew from the tournament last Thursday (Jan 13) after she experienced a "high fever" with a temperature of up to 38.6°C.

In an Instagram post on Monday, Yeo said she was back in Singapore and that she had tested positive. 

"I am now in isolation and complying with all the procedures," she said in the post. "I will do my best to recover well and get back on court soon."

Thanking supporters, she said many people have sent her well wishes.

"Sorry it's been pretty hectic in the midst of trying to recover physically," added Yeo, who is ranked 17th in the world.

Her withdrawal from the India Open last week was confirmed by the BWF World Tour website, which showed that her quarter-final match had been won by her opponent in a walkover.

Several players from around the world were forced to withdraw from the event after a spate of Covid-19 cases.

Last Thursday, the Singapore Badminton Association said the Singapore delegation at the event will be "more vigilant", and that "a greater emphasis will be placed on distancing".

Yeo's compatriot Loh Kean Yew lost to India's Lakshya Sen in the men's singles final on Sunday. CNA

For more stories like this, visit cna.asia

Source: TODAY
Advertisement

Also worth reading

Advertisement