Skip to main content
Best News Website or Mobile Service
 
WAN-IFRA Digital Media Awards Worldwide
Best News Website or Mobile Service
 
Digital Media Awards Worldwide
Hamburger Menu

Advertisement

Koh Poh Koon on re-employment disputes

10:23 Min

The Ministry of Manpower received about 80 re-employment disputes a year between 2016 and 2021. About 90 per cent of them were amicably resolved through mediation. The remaining 10 per cent were either escalated to the Manpower Minister for a decision on unreasonable denial of re-employment or referred to the Employment Claims Tribunal (ECT) over re-employment terms or quantum of employment assistance payment. On average, about 10 cases a year are decided by the minister or the ECT. Of these, 60 per cent were dismissed due to lack of merit. The other 40 per cent were found to be substantiated, with the employee compensated. There was only one such case involving a public sector employer in 2018. Senior Minister of State for Manpower Koh Poh Koon shared these statistics in response to questions from MPs in Parliament on Tuesday (Oct 4). He urged employers to engage senior employees as early as possible to discuss possible re-employment arrangements. Senior employees should be open to alternative jobs and reskilling opportunities, he said.

The Ministry of Manpower received about 80 re-employment disputes a year between 2016 and 2021. About 90 per cent of them were amicably resolved through mediation. The remaining 10 per cent were either escalated to the Manpower Minister for a decision on unreasonable denial of re-employment or referred to the Employment Claims Tribunal (ECT) over re-employment terms or quantum of employment assistance payment. On average, about 10 cases a year are decided by the minister or the ECT. Of these, 60 per cent were dismissed due to lack of merit. The other 40 per cent were found to be substantiated, with the employee compensated. There was only one such case involving a public sector employer in 2018. Senior Minister of State for Manpower Koh Poh Koon shared these statistics in response to questions from MPs in Parliament on Tuesday (Oct 4). He urged employers to engage senior employees as early as possible to discuss possible re-employment arrangements. Senior employees should be open to alternative jobs and reskilling opportunities, he said.

Advertisement

You May Also Like

Advertisement