HONG KONG: World football united on Sunday (Oct 2) after Indonesian authorities said that at least 131 people died at a stadium there following a pitch invasion and stampede.
Here are some reactions from across the football world:
PLAYERS AND COACHES
"Fans died in the arms of players. I'm mentally shattered. I feel a heavy burden, even a heavy responsibility."
- Javier Roca, the coach of Arema FC, the Indonesian team whose game against Persebaya Surabaya was the scene of the tragedy.
"Devastating to hear of the events at the Kanjuruhan Stadium in Indonesia last night. Shocking news."
- Former England star Wayne Rooney.
"Heartbreaking. Our thoughts are with the victims and their families."
- Spain defender Sergio Ramos.
"My thoughts are with everyone affected by this tragedy. Indonesia holds a special place in my heart."
- England women's captain Leah Williamson.
"Horrendous news coming out of Indonesia about the events at the Kanjuruhan stadium in Malang. My thoughts are with everyone affected."
- Ex-England striker Michael Owen.
"Terrible, absolutely terrible. The world is crazy...Best thoughts to the families."
- Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola.
"We send our sincere condolences to the victims, their families, and everyone affected."
- Manchester United.
"We are deeply saddened to hear of the tragic events at the Kanjuruhan Stadium in Indonesia. Our thoughts are with all those affected."
- Manchester City.
"FC Barcelona is pained by the tragic events at Kanjuruhan Stadium in Indonesia and rejects all acts of violence both on and off the field."
"Paris Saint-Germain would like to offer its deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives in the stadium tragedy in Malang, Indonesia."
- Paris Saint-Germain.
"We are deeply saddened by the tragedy in Malang, Indonesia. There should never be violence at a football match."
- Ajax Amsterdam.
"A dark day for all involved in football and a tragedy beyond comprehension."
- FIFA president Gianni Infantino.
"The RFEF deeply laments the tragedy and condemns any act of violence, more so if it is in a festive setting, as a game of football should always be."
- Spanish Football Federation. Spanish clubs observed a minute's silence before matches on Sunday.
"The thoughts of everyone at the Premier League are with those affected by the tragic events at Kanjuruhan Stadium last night."
- English Premier League.
"Sending our condolences and thoughts to the victims, the families and everyone affected by the tragedy in Malang, Indonesia."
- Italy's Serie A.
"I am deeply shocked and saddened to hear such tragic news coming out of football-loving Indonesia."
- Asian Football Confederation president Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa.
"My thoughts are with the families and friends of the victims of the terrible stampede in a football stadium in Indonesia."
- International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach.
"Families and friends came to the stadium anticipating an exciting football game. But this ended in a catastrophe, in which many people lost their lives. This is a sad day for Indonesia and its friends across the world."
- German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier in a letter to Indonesian leader Joko Widodo.
"My deepest sympathy goes out to those affected and their families, and all citizens of Indonesia. Germany stands by their side."
- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz.