Skip to main content
Best News Website or Mobile Service
 
WAN-IFRA Digital Media Awards Worldwide
Best News Website or Mobile Service
 
Digital Media Awards Worldwide
Hamburger Menu

Advertisement

Advertisement

Singapore

5 people taken to hospital after Yishun flat fire; second blaze breaks out nearby

About 100 residents from the block at Yishun Ring Road were evacuated by the police after the fire broke out.

5 people taken to hospital after Yishun flat fire; second blaze breaks out nearby

The aftermath of a fire in a flat at Block 451 Yishun Ring Road on Oct 1, 2022. (Photos: Facebook/Singapore Civil Defence Force)

SINGAPORE: Five people were taken to hospital on Saturday (Oct 1) after a fire broke out in their Housing Board flat in Yishun, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said.

Preliminary investigations showed that the fire probably originated from the battery pack of a power-assisted bicycle in the unit's living room, it added.

SCDF was called to the fire on the fifth floor of Block 451 Yishun Ring Road at about 9.50am.

"Upon arrival, the fire was raging inside the unit. SCDF firefighters wearing breathing apparatus sets entered the smoke-logged unit to conduct firefighting and rescue operations," SCDF said in a Facebook post.

"The fire, which involved contents of the living room and a part of the kitchen, was extinguished by SCDF using a water jet."

The aftermath of a fire in a flat at Block 451 Yishun Ring Road on Oct 1, 2022. (Photos: Facebook/Singapore Civil Defence Force)

Five people were rescued from the bedrooms of the flat and taken to Singapore General Hospital. Two of them suffered minor burn injuries, said SCDF.

About 100 residents from the third to seventh floors of the block were evacuated by the police as a precautionary measure.

"Hamsters found in multiple pet cages in the service yard of the affected unit were also brought out to safety," SCDF added.

Hamsters rescued by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) after a fire broke out in a flat at Block 451 Yishun Ring Road on Oct 1, 2022. (Photo: Facebook/SCDF)

SCDF also noted that a resident had attempted to put out the fire before firefighters arrived at the scene.

"We understand that a nearby resident had attempted to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher prior to SCDF's arrival," they said.

"We will be in touch with him to commend him for his public spiritedness act."

A fire broke out at Block 604 Yishun St 61 on Oct 1, 2022. (Photo: CNA/Lakeisha Leo)

ANOTHER FIRE IN YISHUN

Another fire broke out in Yishun later on Saturday, at Block 604 Yishun Street 61.

SCDF said it was alerted to the incident in a ninth-floor unit at about 12.35pm, adding that the fire likely started from a portable power bank in the bedroom.

The blaze was extinguished using one water jet.

Two people evacuated from the flat before firefighters arrived. They were assessed for minor smoke inhalation and did not want to be taken to hospital, said SCDF.

It reminded the public that batteries or portable power banks should not be overcharged.

"Overcharging can cause a battery to overheat and swell up, leading to permanent damage and a possible fire occurring," SCDF said.

Source: CNA/kg(gs)
Categories

Advertisement

Also worth reading

Advertisement