Man charged with sending envelope containing pork to Al-Istiqamah Mosque in Serangoon
The envelope also contained an offensive note and was placed in sight of a Malay man.
A view outside Al-Istiqamah Mosque on Sep 25, 2025. (Photo: CNA/Marcus Mark Ramos)
This audio is generated by an AI tool.
SINGAPORE: A 61-year-old Singaporean man accused of sending pork to a mosque was charged in court on Saturday (Sep 27) with one count of deliberately intending to wound racial feelings.
Bill Tan Keng Hwee allegedly mailed an envelope addressed to Al-Istiqamah Mosque at Serangoon North Ave 2 sometime before Wednesday.
According to court documents, the envelope contained a piece of pork with an offensive note, and it was placed in the sight of a Malay man.
Tan has been remanded, with permission to be taken out for investigations.
If convicted of deliberately wounding racial feelings, he could be jailed for up to three years, fined, or both.
He will return to court on Oct 3.
In response to CNA's query, a spokesperson from Eunoia Junior College confirmed on Monday that Tan is an operations support staff member with the school, adding that police investigations are ongoing.
Tan was arrested on Thursday, a day after the incident at the mosque.
Police said previously that a suspicious parcel containing pork was found at the location. It prompted evacuations and the deployment of hazardous materials specialists from the Singapore Civil Defence Force.
One person was assessed for breathlessness and taken to Sengkang General Hospital, SCDF said on Wednesday.
Police said preliminary investigations showed that the accused was allegedly involved in several similar cases at other mosques around Singapore.
Visiting Al-Istiqamah Mosque on Wednesday night, Acting Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim told the media that he was alerted to the incident earlier in the evening and said that "such incidents are unacceptable".
MORE COMMUNITY, RELIGIOUS GROUPS SPEAK OUT
More community and religious groups have spoken out in response to the incidents.
Bishop Philip Lim from the Methodist Church in Singapore said that such incidents "threaten the fabric of our society" and "undermine the values of mutual respect and peaceful coexistence" in Singapore.
"Singapore stands as a global example of religious harmony, built through many years of continuous and deliberate effort. We should not take this harmony for granted," he said in a statement.
The Sikh Advisory Board said that it "strongly condemns" the recent incidents, adding that places of worship are sacred spaces and that any acts that threaten their sanctity or the peace and harmony in Singapore cannot be tolerated.
"Our thoughts are with the Muslim community as we stand in solidarity with them. We hope everyone will also remain calm and not speculate at this point as investigations are ongoing."
The Singapore Buddhist Federation said it "strongly objects to this evil act" of disrespect for religious sensitivities.
It said: "This year, Singaporeans from all walks of life are celebrating our hard-earned SG60. The pre-independence turbulences are still fresh in our minds. Yet there are lawbreakers trying to use race and religion to stir up hatred."
The federation addded that such acts must be "severely denounced" and urged all Singaporeans to remain calm and not to believe or spread rumours.
Cardinal William Goh, archbishop of the Roman Catholic Church in Singapore, said that these events represent a "clear attempt" to wound sensitivities and disturb peace in Singapore.
"The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Singapore strongly condemns these acts, which seek to create division and foster ill-will between our communities. We also empathise deeply with those from the affected mosques and all Muslims in Singapore," he said in a statement.
"The Catholic Church believes in upholding the dignity of every human person as well as the respect due to all places of worship."